May 6, 2013

13.1

Half marathon - grace and light - brooke petermann
We did it!  We walked 13.1 miles in 3 hours and 11 minutes.  That averages out to 14:38 miles.

Nine hours post-race, I am sore, but really feel pretty great.  I am proud of us and glad that we pushed ourselves to walk a bit faster than the pace at which we trained.  

Up until about mile nine, I feel like I walked with a gigantic smile on my face.  It was so, so much fun to be cheered on by all of the spectators who were out in droves and who were so kind and motivating.  There was a lot of live music, people giving high-fives, fruit slices, jelly beans, Kleenex, cookies and a lot of general cheering.  We saw a lot of cute dogs along the route and even a pet goose named Leon.  We saw an older gentleman twice along the route who was holding a sign that said, "I may not know you, but I am proud of you."  
How awesome is that?   

Mile nine was difficult, but once I pushed through that, it was a downhill walk to the finish line.  I think our legs were just on autopilot for the last three or four miles. 

Thanks for walking with me, sister.  It was great and a great way to celebrate turning 30 and 33. 

And to our good buddies/families who cheered us on along the way and bought us post-race tacos, thanks for being our cheer leaders!  You guys were great and you really made it a fun day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment