Jun 4, 2013

MY PERENNIAL FLOWER BED

House 1
Perennial flower garden
Empty pots
I didn't manage to plant any flowers, last summer.  Thankfully, I can use my status as a first-time-mom with an infant to care for as my excuse.  My pots, usually overflowing with annuals sat (disheartened, I am sure) in the garage all summer long. 

I had grand plans for changing that up, this spring.  But, it hasn't happened yet.  I set the empty pots on the front porch a month ago.  I decided that I would go to the nursery the next day.  And then I didn't.  It is still early in June.  I might make it there, yet. 

To be honest, I'm kind of undecided on the whole thing.  At this point, I'm not expecting to make a separate trip out of the house to buy flowers.  But, if I find myself at the store for other things, I might just pick up a few pots of Geraniums and maybe fill a flat with Vinca and whatever else catches my eye.  I know that if I just made time for it, I would really enjoy them for the rest of the summer.  So, we'll see. 

And now comes the part where I say, "Thank goodness for my perennials."  

I love having pretty flowers out front.  I appreciate them for their own sake, I appreciate them for the bit of zest and color that they bring to the front of our house, I love that they make me think of/feel like my mom (who is all about flower gardening).

Perennials mean doing the work once and enjoying the fruits of that labor year after year.  Can't get much better than that.  They are also easy to divide and share.  All but one of my plants in my front yard flower patch were divided gifts from either my mom or a co-worker.  They were actually gifted to me while I lived in my first house and then divided once again to move with me here. 

Flowers 1

My perennial flower bed is made up of Peonies, Lilies, Sedum, Ajuga, a small Hydrangea bush, Cosmos and the tiny little yellow flowers that are in the photo above.  I don't know what they are called.  Anyone?  Can you enlighten me? 

The Peonies are in full bloom right now and the Lilies are full of buds just waiting to burst.  The Cosmos are just a few inches out of the ground.  In a month, they will be to my waist or higher.  My Hydrangea is seven years old, but hasn't made much progress in the growing department.  It faithfully blooms by mid-summer each year, though. 

If you are in want of flowers for your own home, I can't recommend perennials enough.  Find a friend or neighbor with some and ask them to share.  If you know me personally (and live close by), I would be happy to be your friend that shares.  Just let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment