Aug 27, 2018

AROUND HERE


Today marks the start of week three of the school year.  I don't feel like my mindset has done a full switch to school routine mode, but I can feel it coming.  That first week felt so long, but then last week went by in a flash.

One thing that I had forgotten over the course of the summer was how broken up my days feel during the school year.  It feels like we spend A LOT of time loading in and out of the van, getting waters for everyone, hunting for shoes and cleaning out the disaster van situation.  It also feels like I just get started on a project and then it is time to go again.

Oh well.  It's part of this phase of life and I'm mostly good with it - I just need to get used to it all over again.

- - - -

Eli has been really into playing a new make believe game with me and Sweetcakes (his stuffed rat).  He will ask to play "Sweetcakes Tornado" or "Sweetcakes Goliath Bird-Eating Tarantula" or "Sweetcakes Shipwreck" or ....it really goes on and on.

He likes me to sit on the couch while he sits on a chair across the living room from me.  We start off by pretending that we are in a certain situation (camping, at home, on a ship, close to a volcano, etc.) and all is well.  We chit-chat about what a nice, normal day it is.  Then - SUDDENLY! - the bad thing happens!  We pretend panic / talk about the best course of action for the emergency.  And then usually move on to the next Sweetcakes game.

The entire game is basically just talking.  And I guess he should be well prepared for most disaster situations that might come his way in life.

- - - -

We bought a tree!  It has been in our backyard for about a week and we love it.  I particularly like that it is just outside the master bedroom window.

This had been on our to do list for a couple years, but we kept putting it off for one reason or another.  Then, we went to a graduation party in May that (funnily enough) convinced us to bite the bullet.  The party was outdoors and the day was almost unbearably hot.  The one saving grace was that a good section of their backyard was shaded by trees.  We left and Brian immediately said, "We need to get some trees!  So we can have graduation parties in the backyard!"  ...nothing like looking a few years into the future, I guess.

It took us a couple months to decide on a type of tree and actually pick one out.  But, it's in the ground and looking good and now making us more anxious than ever to have a patio poured off the deck.

- - - -

And somebody REALLY needs to kick me in the pants to put in the last hour of work on Maggie's room to get it done before the end of the month.  Anybody? 

No comments:

Post a Comment