Apr 25, 2018

38 TODAY


It's my birthday.  I'm 38.  Yay!

When I read Kathleen's birthday post a couple months ago, I immediately knew that I wanted to do something similar for my own birthday.  I liked the idea of doing small things to treat myself on my special day.  And - let's be honest - birthdays are sort of weird as an adult.  I always feel like the day should be somehow different from the rest of life, but there are still all the regular life duties and responsibilities that need to be met.  And kids don't really ever let you take a day off.

I made a list of six things that I wanted to do / have as little treats for my birthday.    But now I am writing this post just before bed and the day hasn't gone at all as I planned.  Of course.

But you know what?  It was a GREAT day. 

I tended to all of my duties and responsibilities.  I also did some of the things on my list.  And I let myself really notice and feel all the love coming at me. 

I received so many kindnesses and sweet birthday wishes and gifts.  I spent some time thanking God for the people he has placed in my life.  I spent some time thinking about the ways small gestures add up to better days and better relationships.  I also recognized that the small treats I give myself are valuable and don't need to be saved up for specific days. 

It was a good day and I think I will now rewrite most of the previous paragraph on a piece of paper and hang it on my mirror.  I think this will be a good theme for my year of being 38. 

Image: "happy brithday my mom" written by Sam in our neighbor's driveway. 

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday! Wishing you a wonderful 38!
    Also, your reflection paragraph is SO good. I need those reminders too.

    ReplyDelete